16 Feb New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins
ChronoPoints assists a UCF archaeology graduate student to laser scan the New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins in Volusia County. Erected in 1830, the Cruger-dePeyster Sugarcane Mill was constructed of coquina stone – the same material used in St. Augustine’s Castillo de San Marcos. The mill was set ablaze and extensively damaged in 1835 during the Second Seminole War it would then be occupied by troops. The site was added to the US National Register of Historic Places in 1970.